In 2019, the First International Elite Gynecologic Surgery Competition was successfully hosted by AME Publishing Company and the West China Second University Hospital of Sichuan University, with a total of ten surgical videos distinguishing from a bunch of entries and awards ceremony held during the West China Gynecology Forum in December 2019 (Figure 1). More details at Result of the First International Elite Gynecologic Surgery Competition (2019 Masters of Gynecologic Surgery).
Figure 1. Awards ceremony
Here comes the Second International Elite Gynecologic Surgery Competition and we cordially invite you to participate in the 2020 competition jointly hosted by AME Publishing Company and the West China Second University Hospital of Sichuan University!
All gynecologists are eligible to participate in this competition, and the competition includes all of the operations in the field of gynecology. The contest will be held based on the submission of videos via the internet, and the review process will be performed online. The video expert judges will be editorial board members from the journal Gynecology and Pelvic Medicine (GPM). The winners of the event will have priority access for publishing their surgical video articles in GPM. The winners of the competition will be invited to attend the awards ceremony in Sichuan in tentatively December of 2020, and will be sponsored for a one-week study tour of the West China Second University Hospital of Sichuan University.
We eagerly await your submission of the videos!
Stage 1. Video Collection: 2020/6/24 - 2020/10/15 (Deadline)
Stage 2. Video Review: 2020/10/15 - 2020/11/15
Stage 3. Competition Results: 2020/11/20 (Email notification)
Stage 4. Article Writing: 2020/11/20 - 2020/12/20
Stage 5. Award Ceremony: 2020/12 (tentative)
All gynecologists are eligible to participate in this competition.
Participants should first fill in the attachment 1 (Participant Information) and then email it to the GPM editorial office. The subject of the email should be, “2020 Masters of Gynecologic Surgery-Participant’s Full Name”. After receiving a receipt of confirmation from the editorial office, please submit the videos and accompanying materials (attachment 2. Video Information) via www.wetransfer.com to:
- Recipient: Skylar Gao, email@example.com.
- Phone: 020-66355775
- Attachments: Please download the attachments at the bottom of this page.
- Deadline for submission: 2020/10/15.
1. Thematic range: operations in the field of gynecology.
All videos must be original works and neither published nor submitted to other surgical video contests.
2. Video Requirements：
(1) Video Length: within 15 mins. Chinese characters or any information relative to the participants are NOT allowed in the video. English narration would be recommended.
(2) Video Format: MP4、Flash video (.flv), MPEG, DVD video format, MOV, AVI, and WMV. H.264/mp4 for the video codec and AAC for the audio codec is recommended.
(3) Screen Ratio: 4:3 or 16:9.
(4) Resolution: no less than 960×720 (no less than 1280×720 in widescreen format)
(5) The corresponding author must confirm in the Copyright Transfer Agreement that he/she has received a signed release form from each patient recorded on the submitted video. Ideally, patients should not be identifiable in these videos.
(6) No background music should be inserted into the video. All materials submitted should be by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) and be original unless appropriate permission is obtained.
3. Illustrating text (attachment 2)：
It is recommended that the video be accompanied by a descriptive text in English. The text includes the following information:
(1) Title for the video.
(2) Author(s): limited to 6 authors, including full name, education level, and affiliation.
(3) Corresponding author: full name, email, and phone number.
(4) Abstract: summary of the video, limited to 350 words.
(5) Video description: detailed descriptions of the surgical operation procedures in a step-by-step format.
(6) Comments：comments and discussions on the operative techniques, possible pitfalls and the comparison of the described procedure with other methods are encouraged.
(7) Conflict of interests: anything that need to be disclosed.
(8) Corresponding author of the video should sign the “Copyright Transfer Agreement” in the second attachment.
1. Review Team: editorial board members from Gynecology and Pelvic Medicine
Editorial Board Member
IRCCS National Cancer Institute, Italy
Stellenbosch University and Tygerberg Hospital, South Africa
Medway NHS Foundation Trust, UK
University of Sassari, Italy
Chi Chiung (Grace) Chen
Johns Hopkins Hospital, USA
Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Italy
IRCCS - Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Italy
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Italy
MUHC Reproductive Centre, Canada
Rudy Leon De Wilde
Pius-Hospital, University Medicine Oldenburg, Germany
Attilio Di Spiezio Sardo
University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Teresa P. Diaz-Montes
Weinberg Center for Women’s Health & Medicine at Mercy, USA
Hokkaido University, Japan
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
Keck School of Medicine, University Southern California, USA
ASST Spedali Civili, Italy
Ospedale Policlinico San Martino, Italy
Helios Hospital Krefeld, Germany
Mater Olbia Hospital, Italy
Maria Luisa Gasparri
Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
University of California (UC) Irvine Health, USA
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, USA
Cleveland Clinic, Lerner College of Medicine, USA
Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Canada
University of Messina, Italy
Thomas W. Grunt
University of Vienna, Austria
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
Mugla Sıtkı Kocman University Education and Research Hospital, Turkey
The University of New South Wales, Australia
Breast Cancer Center at Medical University Hannover, Germany
The University of Texas Medical Branch, USA
University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Philippe R. Koninckx
Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Antonio Simone Lagana
"Filippo Del Ponte" Hospital, University of Insubria, Italy
Georges Pompidou European Hospital, France
Jinping (Jennifer) Li
Mercer University School of Medicine, USA
Ambrogio P Londero
University of Udine, Italy
Rambam Health Care Campus, Israel
IRCCS Foundation - National Cancer Institute, Italy
Santa Chiara Hospital, Italy
University Hospitals Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
David G. Mutch
Washington University School of Medicine, USA
Rossella E. Nappi
University of Pavia , Italy
Anna Maria Paoletti
University of Cagliari, University Hospital of Cagliari, Italy
University Hospital of Bern, University of Bern, Switzerland
S. Orsola Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
Ajou University School of Medicine, Korea
Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria of Cagliari, Italy
S. Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna University, Italy
Humanitas Research Hospital, Italy
Yong Sang Song
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Republic of Korea
The New European Surgical Academy, Germany
Hôpital A. de Villeneuve, France
"Vito Fazzi" Hospital, Italy
2. Judging Criteria：
Videos will be judged based on how effective the videos are in promoting gynecologic surgery techniques by the editorial board member from GPM following the 5 standards below (100 points total):
- Operative difficulty (20 points)
- The standardization and the fluency of the operation (20 points)
- Originality (20 points)
- Quality of the video (20 points)
- Educational values of video demonstration (20 points)
A total of ten first-prize, second-prize and third-prize winners will be picked from the entries.
- Winners will be awarded the certificate “2020 Masters of Gynecologic Surgery”.
- All the winning videos will stand a chance to be published in Gynecology and Pelvic Medicine (GPM, https://gpm.amegroups.com). See 2019 collection here: the Award-Winning Videos from the First International Elite Gynecologic Surgery Competition (2019 Masters of Gynecologic Surgery.
- Winners will be sponsored by the organizers to attend the awards ceremony which will be held tentatively in December 2020. The sponsor will cover the round-trip travel (remarks: economy-class air ticket or second-class seat of the high-speed train), food and accommodation.
- Winners will be sponsored for a one-week study tour of the West China Second University Hospital. The round-trip travel (remarks: economy-class air ticket or second-class seat of the high-speed train), food and accommodation will be sponsored by the organizers.
Note: If affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, the schedule and form of the awards ceremony will be adjusted accordingly (online or delay); the one-week study tour might be delayed until after the Third International Elite Gynecologic Surgery Competition (that is, one-year extension).
Term of Confidentiality
All information and materials collected for this contest will not be used for any non-academic purpose. We reserve all the rights for the final explanation of the competition and all the videos.
For any inquiry, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org